Saturday 25 August 2018

Book Review: Designing User Interfaces for an Aging Population

After improving TrafficControl, I found this book on my local library:


As the authors are emphasizing, the aging population is a very diverse group with a lot of individuals with different abilities, knowledge and attitude to technology. On the other hand, there are some design principles that are useful for developping software for other populations.

The book refers to Nielsen's 10 Usability Heuristics for Application Development. They discuss how vision, hearing, motoric skills and cognition is changing when people get richer in years. Based on those factors, the book presents some recommendations and examples of good and bad design.




TrafficControl isn't explicitly designed for any age group, but many of the recommendations in the book can be applied to a good UI design anyways.

The book also discusses some different tech generations.
As I was born in 1978, I belong to the "Digital computer" generation. Of course, I can use the Internet and social media, but that is something that I've learnt after being a child.

I'll use some of the advices from the book when designing my pet projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment