Saturday 26 April 2014

StockReader: Motivation and Background

This software has evolved gradually, and from the beginning I had no intention to make this kind of software.

A couple of years ago, I started to invest in stocks. After some painful experiences from the "buy-when-someone-recommends-a-stock"-period, I tried to be more systematic. I wanted to rank the stocks after some key numbers in order to automate the initial screening.

I created a spreadsheet document where I entered some key numbers for stocks, such as dividends, price/earnings, earning marigin, stock price, net asset value and some more parameters. Updating those values by hand was a very time consuming task, even for a very small number of stocks.

The next step was to experiment with linking to external webpages in OpenOffice. I found that task very time consuming too, as the incoming data spanned over different areas each time – sometimes, that data occupied five rows, sometimes seven rows. That brought a lot of work to adjust the spreadsheet. Also, it took OpenOffice some two to tree seconds to fetch the data (with a good internet connection).

The final step was to build a C++/Qt program that downloaded the stock data, analysed it and sent it to a csv file. My stockList spread sheet linked finally to that document. Now, it takes my quite-slow-and-quite-old computer some 80 seconds to download and update the stock information (12 data fields per stock) of some 300 stocks.



No comments:

Post a Comment