Saturday 12 April 2014

StockReader: Bringing Hundreds of Stocks to one Spreadsheet

My other project is StockReader. That program scans key numbers from some three hundred Swedish stocks and makes that data accessible from a spread sheet program.

That program analyses stock data from some web pages, extracts the interesting information and arranges it in a comma-separated-value file that is linked to a spreadsheet, where I can rank the stocks after some criteria.

This way, I can assign different points/grades to stocks, depending on how they perform with regard to, for example the price/earnings value. Companies with big losses will get a "bad" grade, and companies with good earnings will get a "good" grade.

The final result of the program: Stock data collected to a Spreadsheet
After summing the grades for each key number, I can easily identify the companies with high dividends, good earnings, good net asset values, ... After having my computer doing all the dull work, I can continue with cherry-picking the best stocks.

Nowadays, I am advocating the efficient market hypothesis, meaning that all public information about assets will be reflected by the price. So stock-picking will be more of a hobby for me with no intentions of beating the market.

I've learnt a lot when creating the program and I want to share it with my readers in future posts.


No comments:

Post a Comment