Saturday 17 April 2021

RPI: Demo of First Sprint and Sending SMS from 4G Router

In my summer house setup, I have a 4G/Wifi router. The data plan I have allows for some SMS messages to be sent. 

To be able to send SMS messages automatically, I copied a script that I found on a French blog. The code and repo is designed for Jeedom, but it worked on Raspberry PI, too. 

Demo of the First Sprint

With almost all targets met for this sprint, I am able to show a demo of what I've done in my pet project over the very limited spare time I have:

The 4G connection in the summer house is quite slow - 6 Mbit/s. Transmitting a picture of 4 MB will take some 7 seconds, and buffering the video stream will take some time too. When I tried with a better connection, it was a bit quicker.

The Code

I had to create a separate shell script for the stream and SMS setup



NAT Forwarding

The IP number that the 4G router gets is a NAT-ed IP number in the 24 bit block (starting with 10). This makes it hard to access the network from the external internet.

From forum discussions, it seems that I either need to buy a router from the current Internet Service Provider (ISP), or change ISP. Another option would be VPN, but I'll investigate that later in the future.

Next Step

I'll move the remaining task "RPI12: RPI server available from cellular" to the backlog. In the second sprint I'll explore face recognition for openCV. Depending on the output, I'll add more tasks to the sprint later.



No comments:

Post a Comment