Saturday 3 November 2018

TravelTimeCalculator: Hiding My API Key from Git

In the last blog post, I used a Google Directions API to get directions. In order to use more than one requests per day, an API key is needed.

API keys are used by applications to get access to several different online services.

Generally, it kind of cheap for Google Directions API: it will cost half a USD cent to query one api. Still, I'll need to reduce the requests for Google Directions and store the existing results to a local database. I'll elaborate more on that in the future.

When pushing my code to GIT, I need to make sure that no one will copy my key and freeload on my billing account. Luckily, this is easy to do.

As described by Varun Barad in his article at Medium.com, simply put the API keys in a file outside the GIT repo and point to that file using the Android gradle system.

For Python, it seems to be easier. Black Tech Diva has an instruction for that language.

No comments:

Post a Comment